If you're having issues restoring your chat history, it may be due to one of the following reasons.
• The Import chat history option does not appear
From LINE version 9.1.0, there is no longer a feature to back up and import your chat history from inside a chat. If Import chat history does not appear, you won't be able to import chat history saved on an SD card or LINE Keep.
• You didn't download the backup file from Keep
If you saved the backup file to Keep on LINE, you'll need to download it from Keep and save it to your new device after transferring your account.
• The backup file wasn't saved in the right location
Files created by selecting Back up all data are saved on either an SD card or your device.
If you're unable to import (restore) your chats, you'll need to manually move the relevant file to the folder titled "LINE_backup" on the device you want to restore your chat history on.
Please use a file managing app or connect your device directly to your PC to access the backup files and move them.
- If this folder doesn't exist, please create one.
- You will not be able to restore your chats if you did not select Back up all data from the Back up chat history option.
If you're not sure how to create folders or move files, please contact your device manufacturer.
• Your device doesn't have sufficient memory or your system specs are too low
The app may freeze or crash if your device doesn't have enough memory or the specs are too low. Please delete any unnecessary data and restart your device before trying again.
You can back up and restore your chat history with Google Drive by following the steps below.
- Before backing up your chat history, make sure you have enough free space on your device and Google Drive.
- Be sure to try the following steps in an area with a strong network connection.
- The "Back up and restore chat history" option is only available on devices that can use Google Drive.
To back up your chat history:
1. From the Home/Friends or More tab, tap Settings > Chats.
2. Tap Back up and restore chat history.
3. Tap Back up to Google Drive.
Images and stickers are not backed up with your chat history, so we recommend saving any important images in Albums or Keep. For details about automatically backing up your chats, see this Help article.
To restore your chat history:
1. Tap the Home/Friends or More tab > Settings > Chats.
2. Tap Back up and restore chat history.
3. Tap Restore.
Note: With LINE version 9.2.0 and later, you can also restore your chat history when you transfer your account.
If you're an iOS user:
You can use iCloud to back up your chats.
For details on how to back up your chats, see this Help article. For information on how to restore your chats, see this Help article.
If you're an Android user:
You can use Google Drive to back up your chats.
For details on how to back up and restore your chats, see this Help article.
To search the messages in a chat:
1. Tap the search icon at the top of the chat screen.
2. Enter what you want to search for in the Messages field.
You can search the messages from a specific date by tapping the calendar icon at the top right of the keyboard.
If you want to search the messages in all of your chats, see this Help article.
To delete the history for all your chats:
1. From the Home/Friends tab, tap Settings > Chats.
2. Tap Delete chat history > Delete.
To delete a specific room’s chat history:
1. From the Chats tab, select a chat room > tap the menu icon > Other settings.
2. Tap Delete chat history > OK.
Important: Deleted messages cannot be restored.
You can save the messages in a chat as a text file by following the steps below.
Note: You cannot restore your chat history on LINE from a text file backup.
1. Tap the menu icon at the top of the chat screen > Other settings.
2. Tap Export chat history and choose how you want to send the file.
For information on how to restore your chat history when transferring your account or reinstalling LINE, see this Help article.
You can search all your chats and messages for keywords by following the steps below:
1. Tap the search icon (magnifying glass) at the top right of the Chats screen.
2. Type what you're looking for in the search box.