If you added the friend by syncing your contacts, their name will appear the same as in your phone's contacts list.
Note: Their LINE display name will appear under their name in your contacts in a smaller font on the profile pop-up.
For this reason, if your friend cancels the phone number you have in your contacts, or if the number in your contacts is wrong, a different person (the current owner of that phone number) will be displayed on your LINE friends list under your friend’s name.
If any of the following cases apply, please check your friend’s phone number by contacting them using a means other than LINE.
Issues happening on your device
• If an account with your name is appearing on your friends list, please check if you have yourself saved in your contacts with an old phone number.
• If a friend who does not use LINE is appearing on your friends list, please check if your friend’s phone number in your contacts is correct, and if you still have their old phone number.
• If the name of a friend on your friends list suddenly changed, please check if you have changed their name in your contacts.
• If you tried chatting with a friend, but they turned out to be a different friend, please check if you have added multiple phone numbers for that friend in your contacts.
Issues happening on your friend's device
• If you are told by a friend that they see your account even though you don’t have one, please check if your friend has an old phone number of yours in their contacts.
• If you signed up for a new phone number and were displayed as a friend on a stranger's LINE account, the stranger may have the previous owner of your phone number in their contacts.
• If another account with your name is displayed on your friend’s friends list, please check if your friend has an old phone number of yours in their contacts.
If someone you don't know is appearing in your friends list, please remove them after hiding or blocking them. For more information, please see the following Help article:
Thank you for your feedback.
Was this page helpful?