With LINE Pay, you can easily make payments with a credit card, debit card, or money you added to your LINE Pay balance.
You can also make debit payments with your linked bank account.
Note: Due to enhanced security, you may be asked to upload documents for identity verification when linking a bank.
Accepted payment methods vary by merchant. Be sure to check each merchant’s payment page to see which options are available.
Please see this page for a list of merchants that accept LINE Pay. (Only available in Japanese.)
Payments that are not for LINE services can only be made using your LINE Pay balance.
When making payments at online stores for LINE services, you can use a credit card registered to LINE Pay or your LINE Pay balance. LINE Pay cards and virtual cards can be used at JCB affiliated merchants.
Google Pay can be used at merchants that accept QUICPay+ all over Japan. Please see here for details about QUICPay. (Website only available in Japanese.)
※如果您未设置LINE Pay密码，选择支付方式后需要设置LINE Pay密码。
Yes, you can make payments at LINE Pay affiliated stores.
When you purchase an item, use your smartphone to scan the QR or bar code posted at the store to bring up the payment confirmation screen. Afterwards, enter your passcode to complete the transaction.
See here for a list of merchants that accept payments with LINE Pay (only available in Japanese).
To make payments:
1. From the LINE Pay main menu, tap Scan.
2. Line up the QR code inside the frame.
Note: If you can't scan the code, tap Enter Code Number at the bottom of the screen and manually enter the code number that appears with the QR code.
If you're unable to make a payment at a store that accepts My Code payments, it may be because:
• You're connecting to a Wi-Fi network
You may get a security error if you're connected to a store's Wi-Fi network. Disconnect from the Wi-Fi network and try making the payment once again.
• The code is old
Codes are only valid for five minutes. Tap Refresh and try making the payment once again with a new code.
• You don't have enough money in your LINE Pay balance
Try making a My Code payment again after adding money to your balance.
Note: You can check your balance from the My Code screen and the LINE Pay main menu.
• You didn't select a payment method
You need to select a payment method the first time you make a My Code payment. Select LINE Pay balance as your payment method, read the important notes, and tap OK.
• Your screen is too dark or the code is not fully displayed
Your code cannot be scanned if your screen's brightness is set too low. Make sure to increase the brightness before making a My Code payment.
Also, your code may not fully appear depending on the size of your smartphone's screen. In this case, adjust the screen so your code is displayed completely and it can be scanned.
• The cashier at the store didn't select LINE Pay
Tell the cashier again that you are paying with LINE Pay.
You can use LINE Points to make the following payments:
Choose to use LINE Points on the payment screen.
My Code payments
On the My Code payment screen, turn the LINE Points setting ON.
Note: Turning the LINE Points setting ON will prioritize making payments from your available LINE Point balance.
Please note that LINE Points cannot be used with LINE Pay card payments.
You can specify the number of LINE Points you want to use for online payments, but not for My Code payments.
If the LINE Points setting is turned ON, payments will be made from your available LINE Points first, and then the remaining amount will be deducted from your LINE Pay balance. If you don't want to use your Points, you can turn the LINE Points setting OFF on the My Code payment screen.
Please note that LINE Points cannot be used with LINE Pay card payments.
To pay public utility fees with LINE Pay:
1. From the LINE Pay main menu, tap Scan bill.
2. Read the instructions and important information, then tap Next.
3. Scan the barcode on the bill with the code reader.
4. Make sure the content displayed matches the content on the bill, then tap Pay.
5. Select your payment method, confirm the amount due, and tap Pay.
6. Enter your LINE Pay passcode.
7. Check everything on the payment confirmation screen, then tap OK.
Note: Depending on the payment recipient, service charges may apply. For more details, see here.
You can confirm your payment history by going to the LINE Pay main menu > Settings > Purchase History.
If you can't make a payment using Scan Bill, please confirm that:
• Scan Bill payments are accepted by the bill issuer.
• The amount due does not exceed a set maximum payment limit. (Scan Bill cannot be used to make payments of JPY 50,000 or more with some bill issuers.)
• There are no issues with your smartphone's network connection.
• The payment is not overdue.
If any of the above apply to your situation, the bill payment cannot be made with LINE Pay. In this case, please make the payment at a participating location noted on the back of the payment slip.
Depending on the payment recipient, service charges may apply if it is explicitly written on the bill that the customer is responsible for paying them.
• Service charge for bills under JPY 10,000: JPY 66
• Service charge for bills that are JPY 10,000 or more: JPY 110
If a payment failed when using LINE Pay on your smartphone, please try the following:
• Update LINE to the latest version.
• If the payment screen does not display properly or closes midway with some apps or mobile browsers, the payment will not be properly completed. In such cases, please select Continue on the payment pending screen that appears directly after making the payment. If the Continue button does not respond, please log in to LINE from the link at the bottom of the screen. After logging in to LINE and tapping the notification message that appears, the LINE Pay payment screen will appear. If the link to the login screen does not work, please use your device's browser (e.g. Safari), or another browser (e.g. Chrome).
• All payments need to be completed within 20 minutes. If more than 20 minutes have passed since you started making a payment, you will need to start over from the beginning.
If you can't use Google Pay, please see this Help article.
Debit Payments are subtracted immediately from your bank account linked to LINE Pay.
You can make debit payments if the Bank Account option appears on the payment screen.
If you want to change the bank account you use for making debit payments, you can do so by selecting Change from the payment screen.
- Accepted bank accounts vary by merchant.
- If the Bank Account option doesn't appear on the payment screen, you will need to register a bank account by selecting Add.
- Due to enhanced security, you may be asked to upload documents for identity verification when linking a bank.
If your LINE Pay balance doesn't appear on the payment screen, it means you linked a bank account that cannot be used for that merchant. Please try again after adding a different bank account.
If you want to receive a refund for a payment that failed due to a bank’s delayed response, please contact us via the Inquiry Form.
You can make My Code payments outside of Japan at stores that have the LINE Pay logo.
- Only a registered credit card can be selected as a payment method for LINE Pay overseas.
- You cannot use LINE Points or coupons at overseas merchants.
When having your QR code/barcode scanned at the register:
• The barcode generated will be for making transactions in the country that is detected using your device's location.
• You can select your country manually by tapping the flag icon at the bottom of the My Code payment screen if the country does not automatically change.
When scanning a merchant's QR code:
• Make your payment by selecting the credit card registered to your LINE Pay account.
Important: At this time, people visiting Japan cannot make payments with LINE Pay at Japanese LINE Pay merchants. We are working hard to make more payment methods available as soon as possible.