With LINE Pay, you can easily make payments with a credit or debit card. If you added money to your LINE Pay balance, you can also use it to make payments.
- The payment methods available to you with LINE Pay vary by country. There are also some countries where making payments with your balance is not available.
- Accepted payment methods will also vary by merchant. Be sure to check every merchant’s payment page to see which options are available.
You can use LINE Pay on LINE STORE or with other LINE Pay merchants.
To check whether LINE Pay is an available method of payment at a merchant's store, look for the LINE Pay logo that should be displayed on the payment screen.
You can make easy and convenient payments by selecting LINE Pay.
With some LINE services (such as LINE STORE and LINE Pokeo), you can make payments even if you don't have a LINE Pay account.
Note: LINE Pokeo is a service that is only offered in Japan.
To purchase products at online LINE Pay merchants, refer to the steps below.
To purchase products at online LINE Pay merchants, refer to the steps below.
If you have a LINE Pay account:
1. Select LINE Pay on the merchant's checkout page.
Note: If you receive a payment request in a LINE chat from the merchant, you can pay by accessing the link inside only if you're using LINE with a Japanese phone number. For details about making payments from LINE chats, see this Help article.
2. LINE Pay will open on your smartphone.
3. From the payment screen, select your payment method, then tap Pay [amount].
4. Enter your LINE Pay passcode, then tap OK.
Note: Depending on the merchant, you may be taken to the payment completion page, where you will be required to take further steps to complete the order.
If you are not signed up for LINE Pay:
1. Select LINE Pay at checkout.
2. Register a phone number to your LINE account if you have not done so.
Note: You cannot make payments unless you have a phone number registered to your LINE account.
3. Enter your credit card details.
4. Select whether or not you want to sign up for LINE Pay.
Note: If you choose to sign up for LINE Pay, set a passcode.
5. Agree to the conditions.
6. Tap Pay [amount].
Note: Depending on the merchant, you may be taken to a payment completion page where you will be required to take further steps to complete the order.
When the payment has been completed, you'll receive a message on LINE from LINE Pay with the transaction details.
Partnered companies such as merchants, card companies, and banks hold various promotions. If you have set automatic payments, depending on the details during a promotion, the amount that is charged may change from the amount you were previously charged.
For more details please check the promotion period, awards, as well as the conditions for each promotion.
If a payment failed when using LINE Pay on your smartphone, please try the following:
• Update LINE to the latest version.
• If the payment screen does not display properly or closes midway with some apps or mobile browsers, the payment will not be properly completed. In such cases, please select Continue on the payment pending screen that appears directly after making the payment. If the Continue button does not respond, please log in to LINE from the link at the bottom of the screen. After logging in to LINE and tapping the notification message that appears, the LINE Pay payment screen will appear. If the link to the login screen does not work, please use your device's browser (e.g. Safari), or another browser (e.g. Chrome).
• All payments need to be completed within 20 minutes. If more than 20 minutes have passed since you started making a payment, you will need to start over from the beginning.
If you are a LINE user, you can use LINE Pay to make online purchases without additional registration.
For details on how to make purchases using LINE Pay, please see this article.
When a payment is completed, you will be sent a message on LINE from the LINE Pay official account with the transaction details.
For inquiries about delivery status or order cancellation, please contact the merchant you made the purchase from directly.
Note: If you are not registered to LINE Pay and wish to make a purchase, you must agree to the following:
For users registered with a Japanese phone number:
For users registered with a Taiwanese phone number:
For users registered with a Thai phone number:
For users registered with a phone number from any other country:
If you're not able to make purchases with your credit card, it may be due to one of the following reasons.
• Your card information is invalid.
• There was a temporary error.
• The fraud prevention system was activated.
Please make sure that your card can be used for online purchases and that the card information was entered correctly.
If you're still experiencing issues after checking the above, please contact us via the relevant Inquiry Form based on the country code of your registered phone number.
Note: If you're not able to use Add & Pay, see this Help article.
You can make payments at some merchants by scanning a code.
Note: For countries other than Japan and Thailand, credit card is the only available payment method.
There are two ways to make payments at stores by scanning a code. For more information, see the relevant Help article below.
Note: The steps will vary depending on the country that issued your registered phone number.
• Read a store's code (Scan)
• Show your code at a store (My Code)
The Scan feature allows you to easily bring up the payment page to make purchases by scanning a code at some merchants' websites or physical store locations.
When you purchase an item, scan the QR or bar code posted at the store with the app to make a payment.
1. From the LINE Pay main menu, tap Scan.
2. Scan the QR code posted at the store.
Note: If you can't scan the code, tap Enter Code Number at the bottom of the screen and manually enter the code number.
3. If the code was scanned successfully, the payment confirmation screen will appear.
Note: If you haven't set a LINE Pay passcode, you must set one after selecting the payment method.
4. Enter your passcode to complete the transaction.
For steps on how to make a payment using the My Code feature, please refer to the following based on the country your phone number was issued from.
The My Code feature allows you to make payments at stores by scanning your code.
1. From the LINE Pay main menu, tap My Code.
Note: If you haven't set a LINE Pay passcode, you'll have to set one when you select My Code.
2. Select your payment method.
Note: If you're using the service outside of Japan and Thailand, you can only use credit cards as your method of payment.
3. Show the staff the code that appears.
For steps on how to make a payment using the Scan feature, please refer to the following Help article:
You can make My Code payments outside of Japan at stores that have the LINE Pay logo.
To see the merchants that accept LINE Pay in another country:
1. From the LINE Pay main menu, tap Find a Store > List.
2. Tap the flag icon of the country you're currently in.
- When using LINE Pay overseas, only a registered credit card can be selected as a payment method.
- Points and coupons cannot be used at overseas merchants.
When having your QR code/barcode scanned at the register:
• The barcode generated will be for making transactions in the country that is detected using your device's location.
• You can select your country manually by tapping the flag icon at the bottom of the My Code payment screen if the country does not automatically change.
When scanning a merchant's QR code:
• Make your payment by selecting the credit card registered to your LINE Pay account.