LINE Pay is a smartphone digital wallet service offered by LINE. You can use it to shop both online and offline by adding money to your LINE Pay balance in advance or adding a credit card.
For details about using LINE Pay, see here (only available in Japanese).
Note: To sign up for LINE Pay, you need a LINE account that is registered with a Japanese phone number.
By verifying your identity, you can convert your LINE Cash account to a LINE Money account and get access to features for sending and withdrawing money.
Related Help articles:
There are no service charges for making payments with LINE Pay, adding money to your LINE Pay balance, or sending money to friends on LINE.
However, there are service charges for the following features:
• LINE Pay balance withdrawals: JPY 220 per withdrawal
• Wire transfers: JPY 176 per transfer
• Scan Bill payments
Note: For more information on Scan Bill payment service charges, see this Help article.
There are also separate service charges for merchants using LINE Pay. For details, see the LINE Pay Merchant website.
LINE Pay密码是当您的手机丢失、被盗时，能够保护您的LINE Pay帐号的一种手段。
同时，使用LINE Pay时，高度加密的功能可以保护您支付时的个人信息及支付信息不受钓鱼网站的攻击，并且系统将对用户信息及LINE Pay帐号信息实行双重确认。
※若您的Visa LINE Pay信用卡已丢失或被盗，请查看此处帮助。
There are two types of LINE Pay accounts. The features available depend on which account type you have.
Note: You can also make payments using LINE Pay without signing up for an account. For details, see this Help article.
LINE Cash account
This account type is for users who have not completed verifying their identities on LINE Pay.
With a LINE Cash account, you can make purchases using your LINE Pay balance (once you've added money to it) or a registered credit card. Having either of the following cards issued will allow you to make purchases at Visa merchants.
Note: You can have both cards issued.
• Visa LINE Pay prepaid card (only for use with online Visa merchants in Japan)
• Visa LINE Pay credit card
In addition to making payments, the only available features are Request Money and Split Bill Request. You cannot send money to your friends on LINE.
LINE Money account
This account type is for users who have completed verifying their identities on LINE Pay.
Note: For information on verifying your identity to use LINE Money, see this Help article.
When you verify your identity, your limits for adding, withdrawing, and spending money are raised. For more information, see this Help article.
You can also use the following features:
• Send money to friends on LINE
• Make withdrawals from your LINE Pay balance
• Make wire transfers
• Use a Visa LINE Pay prepaid card with online Visa merchants outside of Japan
- As of September 16, 2020, temporary restrictions have been placed on registering bank accounts and adding money to LINE Pay for some banks.
- If you see a message saying that service has been restricted after selecting your bank account, please consider verifying your identity with your smartphone.
- For information on which banks are subject to restrictions and other details, see Notices in the LINE Pay main menu.
To use LINE Money, you need to first verify your identity. From the LINE Pay main menu, tap Settings > Identity verification and choose one of the verification methods listed below.
- Your identity verification request will be canceled if you unsuccessfully try to transfer your LINE account (e.g. after changing devices).
Bank account verification
Verify your identity by linking your bank account to LINE Pay. See this Help article for details.
Some banks do not support this identity verification method. If this is the case, you may be asked to verify your identity with your smartphone before linking your account. Please follow the steps in the section below to do so.
Verify with your smartphone
Use any of the acceptable forms of photo ID listed below and follow the on-screen instructions to verify your identity. You need to take a photo of the side of your ID. For more information about taking the photo, see this post on LINE Pay's official blog (only available in Japanese).
Note: This option may not be available on some devices.
• Driver's license
• Driving history certificate (運転経歴証明書)
• Japanese passport
Note: Japanese passports without the "Information on Bearer" page are not accepted.
• Individual Number ("My Number") card
Note: Individual Number notification cards are not accepted.
• Residence card
• Special permanent resident certificate
Once you've finished verifying your identity with your smartphone, you'll receive a notification from the LINE Pay identity verification (LINE Pay本人確認) account, and you'll be able to send money and use other LINE Money services.
Note: You need to use LINE version 9.6.5 or later (iOS) to verify your identity with this option.
Important: As of February 14, 2020, we are no longer accepting identity verification applications via postcard.
The Verify with your smartphone option can take a few minutes or up to five days to complete.
Note: It may take longer depending on the volume of requests we receive.
Once completed, the LINE Pay Identity Verification (LINE Pay本人確認) account will contact you with your results via a message on LINE. For details regarding your results, check the link in the chat message.
If your application is not successful, make sure:
• Your name and address are written exactly as they appear on your ID.
Note: Be sure to also enter the building name and apartment number.
• Your entire ID is visible and all the details are clear.
• There is no glare in the photo of your ID.
• To take a photo of your ID in a way so that its thickness can be confirmed.
• To take photos of both sides of your ID if required.
Note: We cannot accept a photo of only the front or back of the ID, or photos of one side from two different IDs.
• To attach photos of the personal data page and the "Information on Bearer" page if you're using your passport.
Note: Your application will not be accepted if we cannot confirm the "Information on Bearer" page.
For more information on how to verify your identity, see this blog post (only available in Japanese).