Sending/Requesting Money and Splitting Bills
You can use your LINE Pay balance to send money or split bills after verifying your identity and converting to a LINE Money account.
LINE Cash account users can request for others to send money or split bills, but can only send money using their LINE Pay Bonus.
For information on how to verify your identity on LINE Pay, see this Help article.
To send money from your LINE Pay balance, follow the steps below.
Note: If you haven't set a LINE Pay passcode, set one before following the steps below by going to Settings > Passcode.
1. From the LINE Pay main menu, tap Send Money.
2. Select the friend you want to send money to and then tap Select.
3. Enter the desired amount in Transfer Amount, then tap Next.
Note: There are no fees for sending money.
4. Enter an optional message, select the sticker or image, then tap Send money.
5. Enter your LINE Pay passcode.
After completing the steps above, the sent amount will be deposited in your friend’s LINE Pay balance.
Note: A notification message will be sent in the chat room between you and your friend.
If the person you sent money to doesn’t have a LINE Pay account, the transfer will be completed once they create one.
Note: If your friend does not create an account within seven days of the money being sent, the transfer will be canceled and the amount will be returned to your LINE Pay balance.
With LINE Pay, there are set limits to the amount of money you can spend, transfer, and withdraw per day. For information about these limits, see this Help article.
Request money on LINE Pay is a feature which allows you to ask your LINE friends to send money to your LINE Pay account.
The steps to request money are as follows.
1. Tap Request Money.
2. Tap the friend you wish to request money from then tap Select.
3. Enter the desired amount in Requested Amount then tap Next.
4. Enter an optional message, sticker or image and tap Request Money.
The message will be sent to your friend and when your friend sends the money you requested, the amount will be reflected in both of your balances.
The daily transfer limit is JPY 100,000. This limit includes amounts where you request money or split bills to receive money from others. You can still request money or split bills once you have reached this limit, but you will not be able to receive the money.
On April 1, person A sends person B JPY 100,000 > on the same day person A requests JPY 10,000 from person C > if person C tries to send the money to person A, as person A has reached their limit for the day, person C will not be able to send the money.
The "Split bill" feature lets you split bills with other LINE users and helps you keep track of how much everyone owes. You can use it to send money to the person who paid, or request that others pay you with cash or their LINE Pay balance.
Note: The daily transfer limit is JPY 100,000.
You can choose to pay a split bill with:
• Money from your LINE Pay balance
Note: To use your LINE Pay balance, you must have a LINE Money account. If you have a LINE Cash account, you can send money from your LINE Pay balance after verifying your identity and changing to a LINE Money account.
To split a bill with friends, follow the steps below.
If you're creating the split bill (split bill creator):
1. From the LINE Pay main menu, tap Split bill.
2. Tap Split a Bill and enter a group name.
3. Show the QR code that appears to the people you're splitting the bill with.
If you're joining the split bill (group members):
4. Open the code reader and scan the QR code on the split bill creator's phone (created in step 3 above).
5. Choose a payment method and tap Join Split Bill.
Split bill creator:
6. Make sure that everyone has joined the group, then tap Pay.
7. Choose either My Code, LINE Pay card, or QUICPay+ as your payment method to the merchant.
Note: QUICPay+ is only available on Android devices.
8. Complete your payment to the merchant.
9. Tap View Details in the payment completion chat message you receive from the official "LINE Wallet" account.
10. Determine the amount due from each member splitting the bill.
11. Pay your share of the bill.
Split bill creator:
12. Tap Mark as Paid for the payments you receive in cash.
Note: When someone sends the money they owe using LINE Pay, the transaction will be reflected in both their and the split bill creator's balance.
If the total bill amount can't be split evenly among the members, the amount due for each person will automatically be rounded up, and the split bill creator will receive the difference. For example, if a JPY 1,000 bill is split among three people, the amount due will automatically be adjusted so that each member pays JPY 334 (for a total of JPY 1,002).
For more information, please see the following Help article:
I received a split bill request but can't send money
I received a split bill request but can't send money
If you have a LINE Money account, you can send money to or request money from other LINE users. They can have a LINE Cash account, LINE Money account, or even no LINE Pay account at all!
Note: If you have a LINE Cash account, you cannot send or request money.
Any LINE user can join a split bill, but only those with a LINE Money account can pay their share using their LINE Pay balance. All other users need to pay in cash.
When you send money, request money, or split a bill, please make sure that the recipient is correct.
For more information, please see the following Help articles:
You need a LINE Money account to send money to friends using your LINE Pay balance.
- You can convert to a LINE Money account by verifying your identity.
- LINE Cash account users can send their LINE Pay Bonus.
Additionally, you cannot send more than the daily limit (JPY 100,000). This limit includes any money you receive from requesting money or splitting bills.
Related Help articles:
When you send money to a friend who hasn't signed up for LINE Pay, the amount will appear in their balance after they join LINE Pay.
If they don't join LINE Pay within seven days after the money is sent, the transaction will be canceled and the money will be returned to your LINE Pay balance.
If you sent/requested money or used the option to split bills, you'll be able to see your history from Settings in LINE Pay.
You can also manage your bank accounts, credit cards, and access other options from Settings.
If you have a LINE Pay account:
The moment your friend sends you money, it will be added to your LINE Pay balance. You can see the money that was sent to you by tapping Account Activity from the main menu on LINE Pay.
If you don't have a LINE Pay account:
You need to sign up for LINE Pay to receive money.
If you were sent money and don't have a LINE Pay account, the money will be added to your LINE Pay balance if you sign up within seven days of the money transfer.
For information about signing up for LINE Pay, see this Help article.
To cancel a split bill that you created, tap Cancel Split Bill on the QR code screen.
If you want to cancel a split bill after you've paid the merchant, you can change the amount due from some of the members to zero. Please note, however, that you cannot make a new split bill using the same QR code.
You will not be able to split a bill if:
• You're trying to make a My Code payment at a Nihonbishoku (日本美食) chain merchant.
• You're trying to make a My Code payment at the 17th German Christmas Market in Sapporo.
• You're using a version of LINE earlier than 8.18.