In order to be able to restore your chat history after changing devices, you need to back it up beforehand.
Before backing up your data, make sure you have:
• LINE version 6.4.0 or later
• iOS 8.1 or later
• iCloud Drive turned ON
Important: Images and stickers sent in chats cannot be backed up or restored. If there are images you don't want to lose, you can save them in an Album or Keep.
To back up your chats:
1. Go to More > Settings > Chats.
2. Tap Chat history backup > Back up now.
See here for steps to restore your chat history.
You can save the messages in a chat as a text file by following the steps below.
Note: You cannot restore your chat history on LINE from a text file backup.
1. Tap the menu icon at the top of the chat screen > Settings.
2. Tap Export chat history and choose how you want to send the file.
For information on how to restore your chat history after transferring your account or reinstalling LINE, see this Help article.
To restore your chats, turn iCloud Drive ON before transferring your LINE account. If you've already transferred your account, please reinstall the LINE app.
- You cannot restore your chats from the LINE app's Settings.
- Images and stickers that were sent in chats cannot be restored.
To restore your chat history:
1. Turn iCloud Drive ON.
2. Transfer your LINE account to a new device.
3. Once the screen to restore your chat history appears, tap Restore chat history.
To change your iCloud Drive settings, please follow the steps below.
Note: Make sure to log in to iCloud with the same Apple ID you used to back up your chat history.
1. From your iOS device, tap Settings > your name at the top of the screen.
2. Tap iCloud > turn iCloud Drive ON.
3. Turn LINE ON.
Note: If different screens appear on your device and you cannot follow these steps, please contact Apple directly.
To search the messages in a chat room:
1. Tap the menu icon at the top of the chat screen > Search chat.
2. Enter what you want to search for in the Messages field.
You can also search through messages for a specific date by tapping the calendar icon at the top right of the keyboard.
If you want to search through the messages in all of your chat rooms, see this Help article.
If you don’t back up your chat history beforehand, it will be deleted when you transfer your account after changing devices.
As chats are stored on your device, you’ll need to back them up before changing to a different one.
Important: You can only transfer your chats between devices running the same OS.
You can use iCloud to back up your chats. For more details on how to back up and restore your chats, please see this Help article.
You can use Google Drive to back up your chats. For more details on how to back up and restore your chats, please see this Help article.
To delete the history for all your chats:
1. From the Home/Friends or More tab, tap Settings > Chats.
2. Tap Delete data.
3. Check the option for All chat data > tap Delete selected data > Delete data.
To delete a specific room’s chat history:
1. From the Chats tab, select a chat room > tap the menu icon at the top right of the screen > Settings.
2. Tap Delete chat history > Delete.
Important: Deleted messages cannot be restored.