Making voice/video calls
You can enjoy making voice and video calls with your friends on LINE.
To make a call from your friend list:
1. Tap the friend you want to call in your friend list.
2. Tap Voice call or Video call.
To make a call from a chat:
To call a friend from within a chat, you can use either of the methods below.
• At the top right of the chat, tap the phone icon > Voice call or Video call.
• Tap your friend's profile photo > Voice call or Video call.
If you're using a 3G or 4G network, packet communication charges may apply during a call. We recommend using a flat-rate data plan.
If call quality is low, try using a Wi-Fi connection.
Voice and video calls in LINE are free.
Calling or chatting with users on different mobile service carriers is also free. LINE will not charge you, even if you are calling a friend in a different country or using the service while you are traveling.
However, like all other apps, you will be charged by your mobile service carrier for the data that you use. Depending on your price plan, you may be charged each time you connect to LINE, so we recommend using a flat-rate data plan.
Note: With a flat-rate data plan, you will generally not be charged additional data fees when using a 3G, LTE, or Wi-Fi connection. For more details, check with your mobile service provider.
See below for the recommended system specifications for using video call effects and filters.
• iOS 11.0 or later
• Android 5.0 or later (not available on some devices)
• iPad 4 or later (iOS 11.0 or later)
Up to six people can be shown on the same screen when making a group video call. You can switch to other participants by swiping left or right on the screen.
Note: Up to 500 people can participate in a video call.
Select and double tap a friend to see their full screen video. To switch another friend to full screen video, swipe left or right on the full screen video or the participants at the bottom of the screen.
Full HD voice is LINE's high sound quality call service that utilizes full-band bandwidth.
If you're in a Full HD voice-compatible environment when you make a voice call, this feature will automatically turn on and "Full HD voice" will appear in green at the center of the call screen.
Note: Full HD voice cannot be switched on or off manually.
You can use Full HD voice if your device meets the system requirements below.
Note: If your device doesn't meet these requirements, the Full HD voice feature logo will not appear on the call screen.
Devices running both Android OS 8.0 or later and LINE version 8.15.0 or later (cannot be used on some devices).
Devices running LINE version 8.15.0 or later.
To make a call in a group or multi-person chat, follow the steps below.
To start a voice call:
1. Open a group or multi-person chat.
2. At the top right of the chat, tap the phone icon > Voice call.
To start a video call:
1. Open a group or multi-person chat.
2. At the top right of the chat, tap the phone icon > Video call.
3. Set a background, filter, or effects on the preview screen.
4. Tap Join with video.
Note: Your profile photo will be displayed when you tap Join without video.
To share your screen in a video call, follow the steps below.
In a 1-on-1 video call
1. Tap the options icon at the top right of the screen.
2. Tap Share screen.
3. Tap Start.
In a group video call
To share a website:
1. Exit the group video call screen and copy the URL you want to share.
2. Go back to the group video call screen.
3. Tap the website that appears at the bottom of the screen.
4. Tap Start.
To share your own screen:
1. Tap the Watch together icon at the bottom right of the screen.
2. Tap Screen sharing.
3. Tap Start.
Tap the pencil icon to write on the screen you're sharing.
To stop sharing your screen, tap the stop button at the bottom right. Returning to the video call screen will automatically end the screen sharing session.
Note: You cannot use the screen sharing feature if someone else is already sharing their screen or a video.
To change your background in a 1-on-1 or group video call:
1. Tap the video call screen.
2. At the top of the screen, tap the menu icon > Backgrounds.
3. Tap Select background.
4. Choose an image, edit it any way you like, then tap Done.
You can set a background if you haven't already by tapping the menu icon at the top of the video call screen > Backgrounds and then selecting an image.
If you want to delete a background, tap the menu icon at the top of the video call screen > Backgrounds > Remove current background.
LINE meetings let you make group video calls with other LINE users by sharing a URL. It doesn't matter if you've added the users as friends or not.
Note: LINE meetings can be used with the latest version of LINE. You can update the app here.
For more details about using LINE meetings, see the Help articles below.
You can make group video calls with other LINE users, regardless of whether you've added them as friends.
To create a meeting:
1. Tap the video call icon at the top right of your chat list.
2. Tap Create meeting.
The meeting will appear in the meeting list as "XXXX's meeting," with the user name of the person who created it. You can edit the meeting's name by tapping the pencil icon.
To delete a meeting:
From the meeting list, tap and hold the meeting you want to delete > Delete.
To invite someone to a meeting:
• Tap Invite and select the friend you want to invite.
• To use an invitation link, tap Copy link and share it with the person you want to invite.
Note: Users that aren't your friends on LINE can join the meeting from the invitation link.
To start a LINE meeting:
1. Tap the shared invitation link.
Note: The meeting's creator can also tap Start from the meeting list.
2. Choose whether to join with or without video on the preview screen.
- You can set a virtual background, effect, or filter on the preview screen.
- If you choose to join without video, your profile photo will be shown instead.
3. Confirm that you agree to have your display name and profile photo shown.
On the screen that appears after a group video call starts, you can:
• Use the icons at the bottom of the screen to invite another user or turn your mic and video ON/OFF.
• Use the menu icon at the top of the screen to change your virtual background, switch your camera, or set a filter.
To end a meeting, tap "X" at the top right of the group video call screen.
If the participant or a meeting is being disruptive or behaving inappropriately, you can remove them by following the steps below.
1. Tap the menu icon at the top of the group video call screen.
2. From Participants, select the person you want to remove.
3. On the confirmation pop-up, tap Remove.
If the person you removed keeps joining the meeting, please consider deleting the meeting, creating a new one, and inviting the participants that weren't being disruptive.