Adding and Withdrawing Money
You can add money to your LINE Pay balance the following ways:
Money cannot be added to your LINE Pay balance using a credit card. After registering your credit card information, it can only be used for making purchases.
If you're using a LINE Pay card, you can add money directly in the following ways:
To add money to LINE Pay from a bank account, you need to apply to link each bank account that you want to use for the linked bank account service.
To add money from a bank account, follow the steps below.
1. From the LINE Pay main menu, tap Add Money > Bank Account.
2. Select the bank account that you want to use.
3. Enter an amount and tap Add Money.
4. Enter your LINE Pay passcode.
If you don't have sufficient funds in your bank account, the money will fail to be added and a message will appear in Notifications (the bell icon) at the top left of the LINE Pay main menu.
As an enhanced security measure, you may be asked to upload documents for identity verification when linking your bank account. In this case, a screen will appear for you to upload a photo of one of the following forms of ID:
• Driver's license
• 運転経歴証明書 (driving history certificate)
• Individual Number ("My Number") card
Note: Individual Number notification cards are not accepted.
• Health insurance card
• Basic resident registration card (with a photo)
• Residence card
• Special permanent resident certificate
It may take up to a week for your identity verification to be approved. Please understand that you cannot add money from your bank account until this verification has been completed.
Related Help articles:
You can check the banking institutions that can currently be linked to add money to a LINE Pay account here. (This link can only be viewed from a smartphone.) More banks are being added at this time. More banks are being added at this time.
Important: Users that linked a Japan Post bank account before 12 pm on September 27, 2017 will not have their identities verified. Only users that linked their Japan Post bank accounts after 6 pm on September 27 will have their identities verified.
If you don't have sufficient funds in your bank account, the money will fail to be added and a message will appear under Notifications (the bell icon at the top left of the LINE Pay main menu).
Auto Deposit lets you automatically add money to your account once it dips below a set balance.
Please refer to the following steps to turn the Auto Deposit feature on:
1. From LINE Pay, tap Add Money > Auto Deposit.
2. Turn ON Auto Deposit.
Note: If you are using Japan Post Bank, you can use the Auto Deposit feature by using a LINE Money account.
For more information, please see the Help article below:
You can add money to your LINE Pay balance from a Seven Bank ATM.
- You can add money in increments of JPY 1,000 in cash only. The minimum you can add each time is JPY 1,000.
- There are different limits set for LINE Money and Cash accounts. Please see this page for more information.
To add money:
1. Use any of the following steps to go to the QR code reader screen:
- Tap "+" from the LINE Pay main menu.
- Tap Add Money > SevenBank ATM > Next.
- Tap SevenBank ATM > Add Money.
2. From the Seven Bank ATM, select スマートフォン出金⋅入金 (smartphone withdraw/deposit) > the 入金 (deposit) option.
3. Scan the QR code that appears on the ATM to be shown a company number.
4. Enter the company number on the Seven Bank ATM.
5. Put the cash into the ATM.
Once you've finished adding money, the amount will show up in your LINE Pay balance in real time.
Important: After a transaction has been completed, it cannot be canceled.
You can also add money using your LINE Pay card. For more information, please see this link.
You can add money to your LINE Pay balance from a ticket machine at any station on a Tokyu Railways line.
- The machines only accept paper bills.
- You can add money in increments of JPY 1,000. The minimum you can add each time is JPY 1,000.
- There are different limits set for LINE Money and Cash accounts. See this page for details.
To add money:
1. From the main menu screen on the ticket machine, tap Use QR code or barcode > Add credit to your smartphone payment app.
2. Once the QR code appears, scan it by starting LINE and tapping the Wallet tab > the code reader to the right of your balance at the top of the screen.
3. After your smartphone screen changes, tap Proceed to Payment on the ticket machine screen.
4. Insert the amount you want to add in paper bills into the ticket machine.
5. Tap Add credit on the ticket machine.
6. If you chose to have a transaction statement issued, be sure to take your receipt.
After you've added money, your LINE Pay balance will be updated in real time.
Important: Once a transaction has been completed, it cannot be canceled.
The linked bank account service lets you register your bank account to LINE Pay and add money from it to your LINE Cash or Money account.
See this Help article for a list of banks that can be registered to add money to LINE Pay.
Please also see the following list for information about processing times for linking a bank account.
Note: Linking accounts from banks other than the ones listed below will be completed in real-time.
1 business day:
- Toho Bank (東邦銀行)
- Yamanashi Chuo Bank (山梨中央銀行)
2 to 3 business days:
- Akita Bank (秋田銀行)
- Aomori Bank (青森銀行)
- Bank of Iwate (岩手銀行)
- Chiba Kogyo Bank (千葉興業銀行)
- Daishi Bank (第四銀行)
- Fukui Bank (福井銀行)
- Hokuetsu Bank (北越銀行)
- Iyo Bank (伊予銀行)
- Keiyo Bank (京葉銀行)
- North Pacific Bank (北洋銀行)
- Shiga Bank (滋賀銀行)
- Shikoku Bank (四国銀行)
- Shimizu Bank (清水銀行)
- Shizuoka Bank (静岡銀行)
- Tohoku Bank (東北銀行)
Linking a bank account will also complete the identity verification process at the same time, automatically converting your LINE Cash account to a LINE Money account, which will give you access to a wide range of features.
Note: Identity verification was not required for users that linked a Japan Post bank account before 12 pm on September 27, 2017. Only users that link Japan Post bank accounts after 6 pm on September 27 need to verify their identities.
Related Help articles:
This message appears if the information you entered differs from the user information you registered when you verified your identity on LINE Pay. Please check the information you entered to ensure there are no mistakes.
If your address or other information has changed since you last verified your identity, please contact us via the Inquiry Form.
If you can't link a bank account to LINE Pay, it may be due to one of the following reasons.
• Your LINE Pay account information and your bank account information don't match.
If your information on LINE Pay is different from the information registered to your bank account, update your information on LINE Pay.
• The bank account is linked to another LINE Pay account.
The same bank account cannot be linked to more than one LINE Pay account. If you want to link your bank account to a different LINE Pay account, contact us here.
Also, due to enhanced security on LINE Pay, you may be asked to submit documents for identity verification or verify your identity with your smartphone. In either of these cases, follow the onscreen guidance to complete the verification process.
If you still can't link your bank account after checking the information above, contact us here.
You can add up to JPY 299,000 to your LINE Pay balance at a time in increments of JPY 1,000 at any FamilyMart convenience store from a FamiPort terminal.
To add money:
1. Tap Add Money in the LINE Pay main menu.
2. Select FamiPort, enter your name and the amount you want to add, then tap Add Money.
3. Once a Registration No. and Reservation No. are generated, tap OK.
- You must add the money within 30 minutes.
- If you have not configured a LINE Pay passcode, you must do so after entering your name and the amount.
4. After submitting a request to add money, you'll receive a notification on LINE from the LINE ウォレット (LINE Wallet) official account with your reservation and registration numbers.
5. Print out a payment slip from a FamiPort terminal at a FamilyMart.
Note: For information on how to use FamiPorts, please see here. (This link is only available in Japanese.)
6. Show the payment slip at the register and pay.
Please note that you cannot use a LINE prepaid card to add money to your LINE Pay account.
JPY 1 will be covered by LINE Pay if you add one of the amounts below, so the amount you pay will be JPY 1 less than the amount you choose to add.(For example, if you add JPY 2,000, you'll be asked to pay JPY 1,999.)
It may take some time for the added amount to appear in your LINE Pay balance.
The limits for adding, withdrawing, and spending money differ depending on whether you are using a LINE Cash or LINE Money account. See the image below for details.
Note: There is a service fee of JPY 220 each time you withdraw money from your LINE Money account balance.
Tap or click to enlarge the image.
Depending on your account's usage, the actual amounts may be lower than the ones shown in the above image. To check your limits, go to the LINE Pay main menu > Settings > Balance Types and Limits.
For information on how to verify your identity to use LINE Money, see the Help articles below.
You can withdraw your LINE Pay balance after verifying your identity and converting to a LINE Money account.
- Your LINE Pay Bonus included in your LINE Pay balance cannot be withdrawn.
- Your balance can only be withdrawn to a bank account registered with the same name as your LINE Pay account.
When registering your bank account, enter the account holder name in Katakana.
Note: You can link an account from any financial institution in Japan.
For information about verifying your identity on LINE Pay, see this Help article.
To withdraw your LINE Pay balance, follow the steps below.
Note: For withdrawing money from a Seven Bank ATM, please see this Help article.
1. From the LINE Pay main menu, tap Settings > Withdrawals.
2. Tap the account you want to send money to, or tap Add Bank Account to register a new account.
3. Enter the amount you want to withdraw and tap Withdraw Money.
4. Enter your LINE Pay passcode.
You may not be able to withdraw from LINE Pay if it's after the bank's business hours or if their systems are undergoing maintenance.
Also, it may take some time for the amount withdrawn from your LINE Pay balance to appear in your bank account. If the deposit does not appear in your bank account within 24 hours of withdrawing it, please contact LINE Pay Customer Care from this Inquiry Form.
You can confirm various LINE Pay transaction details/histories from the main menu on LINE Pay. Details can also be confirmed in the message sent from the LINE Pay official account when you make a transaction.
In addition, you can configure bank accounts for adding money/making withdrawals, manage credit cards, and use a variety of other features from Settings in LINE Pay.
You can use your smartphone (QR code) or LINE Pay card at Seven Bank ATMs to add money to your LINE Pay balance and withdraw money.
For more information, see the following Help articles:
If you have a LINE Money account, you can use your LINE Pay account to withdraw money.
You won't be able to use this feature if you have a LINE Cash account. By converting your account to a LINE Money account, you can make withdrawals and get access to many other features. For details, see this Help article.
To withdraw money from a Seven Bank ATM:
1. Use either of the following steps to go to the QR code reader screen:
- From the LINE Pay main menu, tap Settings > Withdrawals > Seven Bank ATM.
- Tap SevenBank ATM > Withdraw Money.
2. From the Seven Bank ATM, select スマートフォン出金⋅入金 (smartphone withdrawal/deposit).
3. Scan the QR code on the Seven Bank ATM screen, then enter your LINE Pay passcode.
Note: The company number and a one-time password (OTP) will appear on your smartphone screen.
4. Enter the company number and OTP on the Seven Bank ATM.
5. Enter an amount between JPY 1,000 and the withdrawal limit.
Note: To check your withdrawal limit, go to the LINE Pay main menu > Settings > Balance Types and Limits.
You can also withdraw money using your LINE Pay card. For more information, see this Help article.
Please follow the steps below.
1. In LINE Pay, tap Settings > Bank Accounts or Withdrawals. Please note by selecting Bank Accounts, you can only see the bank accounts you have registered to add money, and by selecting Withdrawals you can see all bank accounts you have registered.
2. For Android users, tap and hold the account name you wish to delete and tap OK. For iOS users, swipe right on the bank account name and tap Delete.
If you're having issues adding money from your bank account, it may be because:
• You tried during a time when money cannot be added.
• The registration process for your bank account had not yet been completed. (With some banks, it can take several business days until you can add money after registering an account.)
Note: Due to enhanced security, you may be asked to upload documents for identity verification when linking a bank. In this case, you will not be able to add money until the documents have been approved. For details, see this Help article.
• You tried to add more than the daily limit. (The limit for adding money from a bank account varies depending on your account usage. To see the current limits for your account, go to the LINE Pay main menu > Settings > Balance Types and Limits.)
• Your bank cannot be used with LINE Pay.
For a list of banks that can be linked with LINE Pay, see here.
There may also be a time lag of several minutes until your money is added. After adding money, make sure you're using a strong internet connection and check to see if the money was transferred after waiting a short time.
You can add money to your LINE Pay balance by scanning a QR Code/Barcode at AINZ & TULPE, LIPS and HIPS, or other AINZ stores.
Note: You can add a minimum of JPY 1 and a maximum of JPY 49,000 in cash only.
To add money:
1. From LINE Pay, tap Add > QR code/Barcode.
Note: You may need to enter your passcode to proceed.
2. Show the generated code to the store clerk.
3. Pay the amount you want to add in cash.
4. Collect your receipt.
After you've finished adding money, the amount will show up in your LINE Pay balance in real time.
Note: Once this transaction has been completed, it cannot be canceled.
To Link your bank account:
1. From the LINE Pay menu, tap Add Money > Bank Account.
2. Select your bank from the list.
Note: Japan Post Bank account users need to verify their identities from September 27, 2017. If you linked a Japan Post Bank account before 6 pm on September 27, 2017, you don't need to verify your identity.
3. Enter the required information.
- Make sure to enter the bank account holder's name.
- If a middle name appears in the bank account holder's name, please enter it in either the first or last name field.
After selecting your bank, please complete its registration process. If you have any questions about the steps on the bank website, we ask that you contact the bank directly for assistance.
Once your bank account is linked to your LINE Pay account, your identity will be verified and you can start using LINE Money.
For more details about the linked bank account service and which bank accounts can be linked, see this Help article.
With a LINE Money account, you can raise your limits for adding money from a bank account, withdrawing money, and sending money after verifying your identity using the "Verify with your smartphone" method.
Note: As of February 14, 2020, we are no longer accepting identity verification applications via postcard.
If you have a LINE Cash account, you'll need to verify your identity and convert to a LINE Money account first.
Note: For details about the different limits for using the service and how to change your account type, see this Help article.