Groups and multi-person chats
There are several differences between group chats and multi-person chats.
Group chats let you set a group name and profile photo, as well as use convenient features like Albums and Notes.
However, the friends you invite need to tap the Join button to participate in the group.
To start a group chat:
1. Go to your friend list.
2. From Groups, select the group name and tap Chat.
Note: For the steps to create a group, see here.
With multi-person chats, you can start chatting with multiple friends right after being invited.
Compared to groups, the features you can use are limited, but multi-person chats offer the advantage of letting you easily create chat rooms with multiple friends.
To start a multi-person chat:
1. From the Chats tab,tap the speech bubble icon at the top right of the screen.
2. Tap Chat.
3. Choose the friends you want to chat with, then tap Create.
To create a group:
1. At the top right of the Friends tab, tap Add friends (the silhouette icon) > Create group.
2. Enter a name for the group, then select the friends you want to add as members.
3. Tap Done.
- The friends you invite won't become official group members until they select Join in their invitation.
- If you're using LINE version 8.13.0 or later, your group name can be up to 50 characters long.
- You can update to the latest version of LINE here.
A group is deleted automatically when all its members have left. If there are still members in a group, follow the steps below to delete them first.
1. Tap the menu icon at the top of the chat screen > Settings.
2. Tap Members/Invite friends > Edit.
3. Tap "-" to the left of the member you want to delete.
4. Tap Remove.
After all of the other members have been deleted, you can delete the group by leaving it.
For the steps to leave a group, see this Help article.
To invite new members to a group:
1. From the Friends tab, tap the group you want to invite friends to.
2. Tap ">" next to the member icons.
3. Tap Invite friends.
4. Select the friends you want to invite, then tap Invite.
Your chat messages, notes, albums, and photos will not be deleted if you leave a group. If there is anything you want to delete, please do so before leaving the group.
When a group member deletes their account or leaves the group, a message will appear saying "(display name) left the group."
To leave a group:
1. Tap the name of the group you want to leave from the Friends tab.
2. Tap Settings at the top of the screen.
3. Tap Leave group > Leave.
If every member leaves, all of the content posted in the group will be deleted and cannot be restored.
Multi-person chats are group-like chat rooms created by inviting friends to a 1-on-1 chat.
With normal groups, a user that was invited cannot participate in the group unless they select Join. However, with multi-person chat rooms, you can immediately start chatting with friends who were invited.
Multi-person chats easily allow you to communicate with a number of friends; however, features found in 1-on-1 and group chats (such as Notes and Albums) cannot be used.
If you'd like to share things like information and photos with friends in a multi-person chat room, we suggest making a group out of that multi-person chat.
To create a group from a multi-person chat room:
1. Tap the menu icon at the top of the chat screen > Create group.
2. Select the friends you want to add and tap Next.
3. Enter a name, set a profile photo, and tap Create.
Important: Messages exchanged in the multi-person chat will not be transferred to the group. To view those past messages, please check the multi-person chat room.
For more information about groups, see here.