How chats work/Using chats
"Unread messages below" is a bookmark-like feature that appears in chats with one or more unread messages. It shows where your Read messages end and your Unread messages begin.
Note: "Unread messages below" does not appear in chats with LINE official accounts.
In addition to text messages, you can send photos, videos, voice messages, your location, and even money (via LINE Pay) in LINE chat rooms.
Follow the steps below to send up to 50 photos/videos at once.
1. Tap the Chats tab > the name of the chat room you want to send photos/videos to.
2. Tap the photo icon next to the text box.
3. Choose the photos/videos you want to send, then tap the paper airplane icon.
- Swiping up on the thumbnail images will display all of your photos/videos.
- The number of photos/videos you've selected appears at the bottom of the screen. Tapping this number lets you confirm and reorder them.
Sending content other than photos/videos
Follow the steps below to send things like voice messages, your location, and money.
1. Tap the Chats tab.
2. Tap the name of the friend or group you want to send something to.
3. Tap "+" next to the text box.
4. Tap and send the content of your choice.
To mark all the messages in a specific chat as read:
1. Tap the Chats tab.
2. Swipe left on the chat.
3. Tap Read.
To mark all the messages in all your chats as read:
1. Tap the Chats tab.
2. Tap Edit > Read all.
3. Tap OK.
The voice message feature lets you record and send audio to friends. You can send voice messages with the following steps.
1. Tap Chats.
2. Tap the name of the friend or group.
3. Tap and hold the microphone icon on the right side of the message input box.
4. Record your message while holding the microphone icon.
5. When you have finished recording, remove your finger from the microphone icon to send your message.
Note: If asked, please allow voice recording or microphone access permission, or turn your microphone ON from your settings.
To send your location via Chat:
1. Tap "+" next to the message input box, then tap Location.
2. Select your location and tap Share location.
If you can't find the location you want to send, you can search for its name or address in the search field on the location selection screen.
To edit a photo or video before sending it:
1. Tap the photo icon next to the text box.
2. Tap the photo or video you want to edit.
3. Edit the photo or video any way you like and tap the Send icon.
You can use the following tools on the editing screen.
Filters (the three-ringed icon)
Choose from a variety of filters to alter the mood of your photos and videos.
Crop (the square icon)
For photos, tap the crop icon to trim them and focus on a certain area. For videos, tap the scissors icon to trim the part of the video you want to send.
Doodle (the pen icon)
Draw with pens of various colors and thicknesses or add shapes.
Pixelate & blur (the pixelate icon)
You can pixelate or blur photos by tapping the relevant icons.
Text (the "T" icon)
Add text to photos and videos in the color, font, and style of your choice.
Stickers (the sticker icon)
Add emoji, the current date and time, your location, and stickers to your photos and videos.
Note: You can use Creators' stickers and some LINE official stickers.
Avatars (the Avatar icon)
Add Avatars to photos and videos. You can use your own Avatars or ones that were shared by friends. For more information about Avatars, see this Help article.
Note: Avatars are not supported on iPads or iPhone 6 and earlier.
To share messages, photos, or videos to friends or groups:
1. Tap the chat room with the message, photo, or video you want to share.
2. Tap and hold the message, photo, or video, then tap Share > Share.
Note: You can send multiple contents at the same time.
3. Select a recipient and tap Share, or choose an option at the bottom of the share screen.
You can send a message together with the content if you're sharing it with a friend or group. Just enter your message in the text box, then tap Share.
You can also share a single photo/video that was sent in a chat (or a group of multiple photos that were sent together) by tapping the Share with icon next to it.
To send Live Photos in a chat room, follow the steps below.
Note: Available on iPhone 6s/6s Plus and later models, the Live Photos feature lets you take photos that move.
1. Tap the photo icon next to the message input box.
2. Swipe up on the Camera Roll screen.
3. Tap the ORIGINAL icon that appears at the bottom left of the screen.
4. Select the Live Photo you want to send, then tap Send.
Live Photos will appear static on the screens of recipients using non-iOS devices.
To chat while watching a video:
1. Tap the YouTube thumbnail or video that was sent in the chat room.
2. Tap the square icon at the top right of the screen.
To chat while making a video call:
1. At the top of a chat room screen, tap the call icon > Video call.
2. Tap the arrow at the top of the screen, or swipe down on the screen.
To chat while watching a LINE LIVE broadcast:
1. Tap a LINE LIVE link.
2. Tap the square icon at the top right of the screen.
Move the floating window wherever you like, and tap the enlarge icon to make it full-screen again.
To reply to a specific chat message:
1. Tap and hold or swipe left on the message you want to reply to.
Note: If you tap and hold the message, tap Reply.
2. Enter text/emoji or choose a sticker, then send your message.
Note: The steps above can only be used to reply to text, stickers, emoji, photos, or videos.
The "Swipe messages to reply" feature can be turned ON or OFF on Android devices.
With LINE, you can take photos and videos (using filters, effects, and Avatars, if you like) in chats or on LINE VOOM. There are also lots of other convenient features for editing your content. For information about editing photos and videos, see this Help article.
To take, edit, and send photos or videos:
1. Tap the Chats tab > the name of the chat you want to send content in.
2. Tap the camera icon next to the text box.
3. Tap the round shutter button at the bottom center of the screen.
Note: You can switch between photo, video, Avatar, and Text scan mode by tapping or swiping on your camera screen.
4. Edit the content any way you like and tap the paper airplane icon to send it.
You can use the following tools on the camera screen.
Flash (the lightning bolt icon)
Turn your camera's flash ON or OFF.
Effects (the glitter icon)
Apply a variety of effects, including ones that recognize and move with your face.
Note: You can select from many more effects by tapping the four-ringed icon.
Switch cameras (the rotating circle icon)
Switch between your rear-facing camera (for selfies) and forward-facing camera (for shots of the scene in front of you).
You can check all of the content that has been shared in a chat at once. Just tap the menu icon at the top of the chat screen and select Photos & videos, Links, or Files.
From Photos & videos:
Tapping Select at the top right of the screen lets you choose photos and videos to share or delete. You can also save them to an album, your device, or Keep. It's also possible to save a group of photos in a chat all at once by tapping one of the photos > the save icon at the bottom of the screen.
Swiping left or right on the photo or video you're viewing lets you see other photos or videos in the chat.
You can also jump to the message in which a photo or video was sent by tapping the date at the top of it.
Tap a link to go to that website. You can also tap "..." to the right of the link for the Share, Save in Keep, and Jump to message options.
Tap "..." to the right of a file for the Share, Save in Keep, and Jump to message options.
You can check the content you sent to your Keep Memo chat on Keep.
For more information about Keep Memo, see this help article.
See this Help article for information about opening Keep.
To take a screenshot of a chat:
1. Tap and hold the first chat message you want to include in the screenshot.
2. Tap Capture.
3. Tap the last message you want to appear in the screenshot.
Note: If you want to hide the display names and profile photos of your friends in the chat, tap Hide info.
4. Tap Capture.
After taking a screenshot, you can edit it with the doodle feature and save it to your device.
To react to a chat message:
1. Tap and hold the chat message you want to react to.
2. Tap a reaction.
Tap the reactions directly below a message to see the full list of who reacted to it.
To undo your own reaction, tap and hold the chat message you reacted to or tap the yellow face icon, then tap the same reaction again.
Note: You cannot remove your friends' reactions.
You can show how you feel about chat messages using special emoji reactions.
After someone sends a chat message, you can react to it for up to seven days.
Note: This feature is available with the latest version of LINE. You can update the app here.
For information on how to react to chat messages, see this Help article.
If a chat message you sent doesn't appear as read and nothing else appears by it, it may be due to one of the following reasons.
Your network connection is unstable
With an unstable network connection, it may take some time for a chat to show up as read.
The recipient didn't see the message due to their use of the LINE app
If the person you sent the chat message to changed devices, reinstalled LINE, or accidentally deleted their chat history before checking the chat, they may not have noticed that they received the message. If the read mark still doesn't appear after some time has passed, try sending the message again or asking the person if they received it using a method other than LINE.
If an icon appears next to the chat message you sent, check its status by referring to this Help article.
If there is an issue with a chat message that you sent, one of the following icons will appear. (Messages that were sent successfully will have no icon or the read mark next to them.)
Left-pointing arrow icon
This icon may appear if your smartphone's network connection is unstable. Try sending your message in an area with a strong network connection.
If your message couldn't be sent due to a network error, a button to resend it will appear. After letting some time pass, try sending the message again by tapping the resend icon > Resend.
Exclamation point icon
This icon appears next to messages that were sent while an error was occurring with the server for sending/receiving messages. After letting some time pass, try sending the message again by tapping the exclamation point icon > Resend.