Groups and multi-person chats
There are several differences between group chats and multi-person chats.
Group chats let you set a group name and profile photo, as well as use convenient features like Albums and Notes.
However, the friends you invite need to tap the Join button to participate in the group.
To start a group chat:
1. Tap the Friends tab on the main menu.
2. Select the group name and tap Chat.
Note: If you want to create a group, please see here.
With multi-person chats, you can start chatting with multiple friends right after being invited.
Compared to groups, the features you can use are limited, but multi-person chats offer the advantage of letting you easily create chat rooms with multiple friends.
To start a multi-person chat:
1. From the Chats tab, tap the pencil icon at the top right of the screen.
2. Tap Create chat.
3. Choose the friends you want to chat with, and tap OK.
To create a group:
1. At the top right of the Friends tab, tap Add friends (the silhouette icon) > Create group.
2. Enter a name for the group, then select the friends you want to add as members.
3. Tap Done.
- The friends you invite won't become official group members until they select Join in their invitation.
- If you're using LINE version 8.13.0 or later, your group name can be up to 50 characters long.
- You can update to the latest version of LINE here.
A group is deleted automatically when all its members have left. If there are still members in a group, follow the steps below to delete them first.
1. Open the chat screen of the group you want to delete.
2. Tap "V" at the top right > Settings.
3. Tap Members/Invite friends > Edit.
4. Tap "-" to left of the member you want to delete.
5. Tap Delete.
After all of the other members have been deleted, you can delete the group by leaving it. Please see this Help article for steps on how to leave a group.
Your chat messages, notes, albums, and photos will not be deleted if you leave a group. If there is anything you want to delete, please do so before leaving the group.
When a group member deletes their account or leaves the group, a message saying "(friend's display name) left the group." will appear.
To leave a group:
1. Tap the name of the group you want to leave from the Friends tab.
2. Tap Chat.
3. Tap "V" at the top right > Settings.
4. Tap Leave group > OK.
If every member leaves the group, all the posts in it will be deleted and cannot be restored.
Multi-person chats are group-like chat rooms created by inviting friends to a 1-on-1 chat.
With normal groups, a user that was invited cannot participate in the group unless they select Join. However, with multi-person chat rooms, you can immediately start chatting with friends who were invited.
Multi-person chats easily allow you to communicate with a number of friends; however, features found in 1-on-1 and group chats (such as Notes and Albums) cannot be used.
If you'd like to share things like information and photos with friends in a multi-person chat room, we suggest making a group out of that multi-person chat.
To create a group from a multi-person chat room:
1. Tap Chats.
2. Open the relevant multi-person chat room.
3. Tap the V icon > Create group.
4. Set a name for the group, then tap Save.
Please note that messages exchanged in the multi-person chat will not be transferred to the group. To view those past messages, please check the multi-person chat room.