Someone may appear under Friend recommendations because they:
• Have your phone number saved in their contacts and are also using LINE (but you don't have their number in your contacts).
• Knew your LINE ID and added you by searching for it on LINE.
• Added you from the Members list of a group chat you were both in.
• Added you using your contact information (LINE account information) that was shared in a chat by a friend of yours.
Note: If your contact information was shared, the person will only be able to see your name registered on LINE, profile icon, and status message.
• Added you using the URL in an invite email, or using your QR code.
The method a friend recommendation used to add you will appear if they added you via:
• Phone number.
• QR code.
• LINE ID.
If you don’t see how someone added you, it may be because:
• They added you directly from a group that you were both in.
• They got your contact information from another one of your friends and added you.
If you have Auto-add friends turned on and someone in your contacts shows up in your friend recommendations on the smartphone version of LINE, it means they have the following settings configured.
• Auto-add friends: ON
• Allow others to add me: OFF
The name that appears for someone in your friend recommendations is the name they set on LINE. If an unfamiliar name appears under your friend recommendations, the only way to confirm who they are is to ask them directly.
Let us know if we can make it better.